Google puts a tremendous amount of work into its voice-synthesis technology, however for Chinese, the Android phones currently only can synthesize Putonghua. Google doesn’t support Cantonese yet but with some third party application, we can make our phones to “read aloud” Cantonese.
1. Install Ekho TTS Cantonese
2. Go to Settings -> System -> Accessibility
3. In Text-to-speech output, select Ekho TTS Cantonese as your preferred engine. You can adjust some options here such as the speech rate and voice pitch
4. Install Voice Out Simple TTS Client – There are other TTS clients that should work with Ekho too but I made this one for myself :)
5. Launch the Voice Out app, copy & paste some Chinese text on it and click on the play icon! (Remember to turn up the volume)